Saturday, February 16, 2008

My promise

I know I promised to tell you who I voted for but this is harder than I thought, so here it is... Mike Huckabee. And I did the thing I don't like, my intention was not to vote for Huckabee but against McCain. I wanted to send McCain a message, "please don't expect me to vote for you because you have an (R) beside your name."

TigBom asked if I still believed in our democratic system. I will remind him again, we don't live in a democracy but a republic. We elect our leaders and send them to Washington to "speak for us." And yes, I do still believe that of all forms of governing currectly practiced in the world, we have the best system. And yes, I do believe it is flawed. Have you ever read the Federalist papers? Yes TigBom I'm sure you have. Many of their concerns have come to fruition, we had intelligent founding fathers. Seriously.

4 comments:

n8 said...

While I disagree with you on the people part, you are dead on with government part. The word democracy is thrown around with such cache that it has lost its meaning in this country. As the the true election approaches I hope to hear even more lively discussion from your side, and you will hear it from mine as well. I will remind you that Romney was gov. for 1 term, like GWB, and GHWB was never part of the executive branch either.

Seriously Karen said...

It's funny, Melanie and I are such polar opposties on political issues and yet we are great friends. I have enjoyed our discussions and I think it makes us better people to be able to sit down and talk.

I lived in Texas when GWB ran and won his second term as governor. He was a great governor of Texas but I have been thoroughly disppointed in his presidency although I'm supposing for different reasons.

I look forward to the discussion of ideas. And I appreciate what candidates say about what they'd like to do. I also don't forget what they've done and how they've voted, at least in recent history.

TigBom said...

Ok, semantics aside, I still want to hear why Ron Paul "scares" you. Is it because he was the only candidate to say that the un-checked growth of the federal government's powers, the debacle of a stupid-to-begin-with war in Iraq, and the horribly wrong foreign policies of BOTH parties are things that desperately need fixing?

Are any of the candidates with a realistic chance of winning able to "speak for you"? Isn't that what you are bemoaning?

Because that's what I don't like.

n8 said...

Yes, GWB was elected to a second term, but only served a short time before being elected president.
I find it even more interesting that we will have a president that has never served in the executive branch for thie fist time time since JFK.