Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Happy Christmas

Most of the older versions of The Night Before Christmas have Santa Claus exclaiming as he drove out of sight "Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night." When I was a child I was certain it was me he was talking to, after all he was obviously combining Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas. People always used to assume that having my birthday on Christmas Eve was hard, to me it made me distinctive and my family always made it special.

This year was no different. Christmas Eve morning I could hear my kids come into my room, whispering in the way kids do when they are trying to be quiet. Then very robustly all three began singing Happy Birthday. Then they insisted I open my presents, Chandler had wrapped his in loose leaf paper. As a mom, a package wrapped in loose leaf paper can warm the heart greater than a box from Tiffany's.

Soon all three of my brothers had arrived to build the kids Christmas present from my parents. A sandbox with a clubhouse on top. Apparently my Dad had one when he was a kid and now my kids will continue to tradition. Never seen one? Neither had I, but come by sometime the kids would love for you to play with them.

We finished the day at the Christmas Eve Candlelight service at church. This has always helped remind me of the reason we celebrate Christmas, the greatest gift we could ever be given.

This morning we opened presents and we opened and we opened. And then we went to Mom and Dads and we opened somemore. I hope you got all you wished for, I hope you are surrounded by your family and friends, I hope you smiled as they opened the gifts you purchased especially for them.

Seriously, Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments: