Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dewey Defeats Truman

Okay, so maybe Hillary winning the New Hampshire primary is not the greatest upset in political history but I did not see it coming. I am a political junkie, seriously. I have been since I first "worked the polls" at the age of 8. Wyatt Durrette was running for governor, somewhere there is a picture of me with a Durrette bumper sticker on my bike.

My father is a politician. One night when I was in 6th grade we were all sitting at the dinner table and Dad said "How would you feel about having a politician in the family?" After pondering the questions I replied "I don't think I would care to give up my privacy in that respect." But Dad won his first local election that year.

Now, almost 20 years later I can appreciate my apprehension back then. A friend told me once I had the reputation of being a snob. You see the thing about being a politician (or his daughter) is that people know you, even if you don't know them. I spent the next month smiling at everyone I saw, every person I passed in the grocery store, at the gas station filling up, at the people beside me at a stoplight. Until finally I just gave up. I think of myself as a friendly person but I was really pushing the limits.

I'm not complaining. Not really, it's not all bad. I would talk about some of the benefits I've received but my Dad probably wouldn't be so happy with me. Let's just say I learned pretty early the rules seldom apply to me and leave it at that.

But I digress. I love politics. I am a conservative. Some might say falling off the right wing. I am a part of the "vast right wing conspiracy" that Hillary referred to (I'm going shopping for blue dresses later if you'd like to come.) Well maybe not falling off the right wing, Ron Paul still kinda scares me. So I've listened to each of the candidates and quite frankly I can't endorse anyone. I what Mitt Romney says but he's a Mormon. I like Fred Thompson but he didn't vote to impeach Bill Clinton. I like Duncan Hunter but he doesn't have a prayer.

I guess it's a good thing Virginia doesn't hold it's primary until February.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a second. Explain to me what Romney's being a Mormon has to do with being able to vote for him, since you agree with a lot of what he says. I don't think we've discussed this.

P.S. Thanks for changing the comments so that I can use my real link!

TigBom said...

And Mitt has great hair! Come on!

Are we sure that Fred Thompson is actually alive? Or awake? Or knows where he is?

What about the Huckster?