Saturday, March 22, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame...


I love baseball. I am a fan of the game of baseball. I love the Red Sox. Now I am not the kind of fan that have the roster and every stat memorized. I cannot carry on a intelligent conversation about the heavy hitters in the MLB, although sometimes I fake it. But I love the game.

What I love even more is the game my son plays. This year he is in the Majors (11 & 12 year olds). This is his 5th year playing baseball, and when we started the games were hard to watch. Every kid had to bat, nobody kept score, etc. In AAA (9 & 10 year olds) the games were fun to watch, Chandler knew the game, the pitchers threw consistantly and they made outs. This year he has a coach he has had twice before and this coach is good for Chandler. Coach Kent rides Chandler, but encourages him too. He yells... productively. Some mothers cringe at their child having Coach Kent, I love him. Because in the end I know he yells because he cares, he wants Chandler to improve, and his coaching style works for Chandler's personality.

Oh yeah, this is the first year Grace and Lee are playing softball. Grace is in the Darlings league and Lee is in the Sweeties league. I don't have much to go on because they have each only had a couple of practices, so I'll let you know how it goes.

So if you are ever in town, stop by the ball fields. On any given night there will be at least half a dozen games going. And there is a pretty good chance I'll be at one of the fields. Play ball, seriously.

No comments: