Sunday, April 6, 2008

Relationship Status: Single

Sometime last week my last single brother changed his relationship status. Now for me that's huge. I mean Jackson and Lee once made a bet that the other will get married first, while in the car with Lee's girlfriend at the time, on the way to my cousin's wedding. My baby brother Stuart did not get in on the bet, he figured he would probably lose - he's 4 years younger than Jackson and 6 years younger than Lee. And indeed it's Stuart who is engaged.

I was married for 10 years and it is an odd thing to find myself single again. I have several friends in the same situation I'm in, recently divorced, who are already in relationships again. I guess I am enjoying the opportunity to get to know myself again. I also know that I have taken time to really examine my relationship with Mr. Wrong and how it got so screwed up. Recently I've even gone back to my relationships prior to Mr. Wrong and that has been really good for me too. I probably wouldn't have taken the time for that if I was in a new relationship already.

Jackson (TigBom) says I need to embrace being single. So here goes. I have officially changed my status on facebook. It may not seem like a lot to you but for me it's pretty monumental. And I'm not going to feel so bad about fantasising about my brother's friend. And FYI to my brothers, your first guess as to who that is - is wrong. Maybe even the next time someone askes me out I'll say yes. Maybe. One step at a time, seriously.

2 comments:

TigBom said...

Hahahaha... I'd forgotten about that bet.

Congrats on embracing it. It will keep getting better and better.

TigBom said...

And I think I'm gonna start going by Jackson. I like it.