Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Where are my car keys Caroline?

"car... car..."

Last week my kids were on Spring Break. Now I know we are supposed to do all this fun stuff as a family but it didn’t work out that way. I was sick on Monday, had to work Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. My one goal for the week was to buy Chandler a new pair of shoes. When do you think we got that done? That’s right Sunday afternoon. For those of you who care he got black and brown Tony Hawk skater shoes, very stylish for a boy his age. He wanted the black and white ones with skulls and crossbones but I drew the line there.

Back to the main point, it was a rough week. One of my trials was losing my keys. On Monday I was cleaning and saw Caroline carrying my keys around and thought to myself, “I should take those away from her.” Famous last words, or thoughts as it were. Later on in the afternoon I had finally gotten my butt in gear and everyone in the car to head for the Y to swim. Only we couldn’t go anywhere with out the keys, I don’t have a spare. So we spent the next two hours looking for my keys but with no success. I tried asking Caroline where my car keys were and she would reply “car… car…”

On Tuesday I borrowed a car from my parents so I could get to work. That night I kept looking for my keys. I found a toothbrush in the a/c vents, did a rather unpleasant search of the trash cans and found things I hadn’t seen in months. Still no sign of my keys.

Wednesday morning a friend of mine stopped by and we sat in the middle of the chaos that is my house and talked. As we sat discussing the awful things she found in her son’s college literature textbook Chandler came in and started playing with Caroline’s car. It’s one of those little toddler ride on toys, complete with it’s own little trunk, you lift the lid and there is a tiny little storage space. You guessed it, that’s where the keys were. And how could I be mad at my genius little girl who not only knew where keys belong but told me where they were.

So mystery solved. Keys found. I wish I could say my week got better from there, but it didn’t. I did however have an interesting break through on the Mr. Wrong front but this post is already getting pretty long. And I want you to come back again, seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful AND smart - what more can a mom ask for?